Monday 18th October 2010, 07:00 Central Time
Summit recognises packaging innovation
Six companies have been honoured for their innovative produce packaging designs at the PMA Fresh Summit in Orlando
The Produce Marketing Association (PMA) has revealed the six companies that it considers to be this year's best packaging innovators at the PMA Fresh Summit International Convention & Exposition in Orlando, Florida.
The Association's fourth annual PMA Impact Award: Excellence in Packaging, an award recognising companies who are leading the way with exceptional produce and floral packaging innovation, saw awards handed to the following groups:
- Chiquita Brands International for Artisanal Salads
- Clear Lam Packaging and Apio Inc. for New Pink Platter to Benefit the Fight Against Breast Cancer
- Del Monte Fresh Produce Inc. and Robbie for Cored Del Monte Gold Extra Sweet Pineapple Cylinder in a Flexible Pouch
- Hanline Farms for Fresh & Ready Vegetables
- Mastronardi Produce Ltd for Sunset Candy Tomato Multipack
- T. Marzetti for Simply Dressed
Applications wee judged on excellence in the four areas of marketing, food safety, supply chain efficiency/functionality and sustainability.
"Professionalism breeds excellence and that's something we like to recognise and reward," said PMA president and CEO Bryan Silbermann. "The Impact Award gives members a chance to gain recognition as packaging innovators.
"The award also encourages their industry peers to challenge their own thinking of packaging's role in maintaining product quality and safety, in communicating to consumers, and in demonstrating a commitment to the environment and sustainability," he added.