Messe Berlin and German publication Fruchthandel Magazin have revealed the 10 finalists for the Fruit Logistica Innovation Award (FLIA), the annual prize handed out on the final day of Fruit Logistica in Berlin each February.
Numerous entries have been whittled down by an expert jury, consisting of figures from production and quality management, wholesale and retail, and the packaging and service industries to a final shortlist of 10.
Visitors to Fruit Logistica, which takes place on 8-10 February 2012 at the Berlin Exhibition Grounds, will have the opportunity to vote for their favourite innovation from the shortlist.
The nominees are:
– Bejo Zaden (Netherlands) for its 'Purple Sprouting Broccoli'
– Bud Holland (Netherlands) for its 'Achacha tropical fruit'
– Ampo Rico (Spain) for its 'Roasted sweet potato'
– Healthy Foods USA (US) for its 'Yonanas: healthy frozen treat maker'
– McCarter (Czech Republic) for its 'Pineapple juice with fruit pieces'
– Pattruss Inc. (Japan) for 'Pattruss Z', a resealable bagged salad
– Rijk Zwaan (Netherlands) for 'lovemysalad.com'
– SIA Amberbloom (Latvia) for 'Dried and candied CIDO'
– Syngenta (Netherlands) for its 'Angello - Sweet & Seedless Pepper'
– Tokita Seed Co. (Japan) for its 'Sungreen' cherry tomato
Previous winners of the award include Limeburst Fingerlimes (2011), Mtex's Arils Removal Tool (2010), Enza Zaden's Sweet Green Pepper (2009), Nunhems' Intense tomato (2008), Rainbow's Vitaminis snack line (2007) and Rijk Zwaan's Salanova lettuce (2006).