Horticulture Awards for Excellence recognise outstanding contributions from across the value chain
Leading performers from across Australasia’s fresh produce industry were celebrated at the 2023 Horticulture Awards for Excellence.
The awards were presented at the Hort Connections Gala Dinner in Adelaide on Wednesday (7 June).
Over 1,500 horticulture industry members from around the country came together at the Adelaide Convention Centre to celebrate the contributions of ten of the sector’s leading growers, researchers, suppliers and marketers.
“Australia’s horticulture industry is privileged to have some of the world’s most innovative and hard-working growers, businesses and researchers. The Horticulture Awards for Excellence provide an opportunity to celebrate and recognise the incredible contributions of these industry leaders,” said Michael Coote, chief executive of Ausveg, which coordinates Hort Connections alongside the International Fresh Produce Association Australia-New Zealand.
The winners of the 2023 Horticulture Awards for Excellence were as follows:
• Pirrone Brothers (Queensland) – Syngenta Grower of the Year
• Robert Arvier, West Pine Ag (Tasmania) – Corteva Agriscience Young Grower of the Year
• Belinda Van Schaik, Hort Innovation (Victoria) – IFPA-Produce Plus Marketer of the Year Award, sponsored by Seeka
• Kylie Hall, Hectre (New Zealand) – UPL Tech Innovation Award
• Angela Ruffo, Tripod Farmers Group (Victoria) – Boomaroo Nurseries Women in Horticulture Award
• Frank Frappa, Premier Fresh Australia (Victoria) – Hort Innovation Exporter of the Year
• Michael Rettke, SARDI (South Australia) – Bayer Researcher of the Year
• Bruce Scott, Campbells Fertiliser (Victoria) – Visy Industry Impact Award
• Allan McGann, DrumMaster – Agsafe (New South Wales) – E.E. Muir & Sons Community Stewardship Award
• Fresh Select (Victoria) – Butler Market Gardens Environment and Sustainability Award
“There was a very impressive list of award nominees this year, each of whom has made a valuable contribution to the industry and demonstrated very clear passion and commitment. I would like to congratulate each of them, and especially our winners, and thank them all for their continued dedication to our industry,” Coote said.