Chiquita chief executive officer Fernando Aguirre has appeared on US news show 60 Minutes in a bid to defend the payments made by the group to Colombian terrorists, for which Chiquita paid a US$25m fine. Mr Aguirre told the programme that the group had no choice but to pay guerrilla groups in order to save the lives of workers at Colombian plantations.
Tuesday 13th May 2008, 18:00 Central Time
Aguirre defends Chiquita payments
CEO said group were saving Colombian workers
- 1 Total Produce targets 'continued growth'
- 2 USDA offers citrus block grant
- 3 Ready Pac fuels Bonduelle growth
- 4 Stable opening quarter for Del Monte
- 5 Equal Exchange highlights small growers
- 6 Record member payments for Sunkist
- 7 Sun World publishes first CSR report
- 8 Del Monte sees yearly result slide
- 9 Congress approves Florida citrus relief
- 10 Florida citrus calls for relief backing