Chiquita chief executive officer Fernando Aguirre has appeared on US news show 60 Minutes in a bid to defend the payments made by the group to Colombian terrorists, for which Chiquita paid a US$25m fine. Mr Aguirre told the programme that the group had no choice but to pay guerrilla groups in order to save the lives of workers at Colombian plantations.
Tuesday 13th May 2008, 18:00 Central Time
Aguirre defends Chiquita payments
CEO said group were saving Colombian workers
- 1 Giumarra offers Fairtrade squash
- 2 Investing in Florida's citrus future
- 3 Eurofresh extends organic footprint
- 4 Challenging quarter for Del Monte
- 5 Consumers happy to pay Fairtrade premium
- 6 United Fresh offers recall insurance
- 7 Divemex bumps up organic pepper offering
- 8 Dole 'plots headquarters sale'
- 9 Walmart reports on Asda sales rise
- 10 Del Monte's future "never brighter"