Borough Market has created a support fund for traders that have suffered losses as a result of the market’s temporary closure following last week’s terror attack.
The market is due to reopen this Wednesday (14 June), after remaining closed since the attack took place on 3 June. A minute's silence will be held at 9.30 am as a mark of respect for the victims, while the community of traders will ring the market bell at 10am to welcome shoppers through its doors once again. The market has also taken the exceptional step of extending trading hours for the next two weeks, opening on Sunday 18 and Sunday 25 June.
Chair of the Borough Market Trust, Donald Hyslop, said: “An atrocity of this magnitude has many hidden victims. Among these are the independent traders and producers who rely upon Borough Market for their livelihoods. With the market still closed and with valuable stock lost, some of these traders – although none would be quick to admit it – are struggling.”
The support fund will be set up in partnership with United St. Saviours and Better Bankside, as well as some of the market’s larger businesses, to provide financial assistance to members of the community who are dependent on the market.
Hyslop said: “If any of these traders, whose skill and dedication make the market such a wonderful asset, were to find the viability of their work threatened by this act of violence, the result would be to add a sad injustice to a terrible tragedy.
“Anyone who wishes to support this fund will find their generosity gratefully received. There was never any doubt in my mind that the market’s community would pull together in a crisis, but it is nonetheless humbling to see that solidarity in action.”
Anyone wishing to donate can go to www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/bmrelieffund.