Discover the most recent market trends. Download the trade show’s latest annual compendium of fruit and vegetable industry data and market analysis
Fruit Logistica has published the latest edition of its European Statistics Handbook, the essential guide to production and trade in Europe’s fresh fruit and vegetable business.
The annual guide, which is free to download from the Fruit Logistica website, offers lots of information about the volume and value of key fresh produce categories across the European market. It also features detailed analysis of Europe’s markets and its major sources of supply.
Key market trends identified in this year’s handbook include:
• Average prices are up. Short supply across several categories has pushed up prices for fruit and vegetables, which has put pressure on consumer demand.
• Costs are higher for growers and suppliers. Prices for fertilisers and energy may have fallen, but in other areas – seeds, plants, pesticides, machinery, labour, and transport – they are up.
• Climate pressures continue. Water is a big problem for the business – either due to a lack of it, or too much. Droughts, floods, and other extreme conditions continue to limit supply.
• Europe has produced less fruit. Last year’s harvest was almost 2 per cent smaller than in 2022, with apples, pears, grapes and oranges down the most.
• The continent’s vegetable crop was larger. By contrast, Europe produced nearly 2 per cent more in 2023 compared with the previous year. But greenhouse crop output fell.
• The EU imported more and exported less in 2023. Imports from outside the EU were higher, especially for oranges, easy peelers, avocados, carrots and onions.
An interview with Michael Koch from Agrarmarkt Informations-Gesellschaft (AMI) and author of the European Statistics Handbook, provides in-depth information and can be found on Fruit Logistica’s newsblog FruitLog.
Fruit Logistica, the leading trade show for the global fresh produce business, takes place in Berlin from 7 to 9 February 2024. The European Statistics Handbook is produced by Agrarmarkt Informations-Gesellschaft (AMI) in cooperation with the show’s official media partner, Fruitnet Media International.Discover the most recent market trends.